The British Academy of Jewellery has announced its programme of short courses for 2020. Running from March to September, the courses offer highly focused training in a wide range of jewellery making skills.
The BAJ’s portfolio of short courses is designed to enable both professional jewellers and jewellery students to expand their skills: both beginner and intermediate courses are available, from one-day introductory workshops to specialist training in advanced techniques.
The programme features exciting array of course options, including silver ring and earring making, enamelling, stone setting, wax carving, curb bracelet and chain making, catches and Adobe Illustrator.
Birmingham tutor and centre lead Miranda Sharpe commented: “The BAJ’s short course programme is designed to enable practising jewellers to develop additional skills and provides a rare opportunity for those interested in becoming jewellers to try out a hands-on activity in the BAJ’s studios – an excellent opportunity for students who might be considering progression onto our longer programmes.”
All of the courses are taught in professional-level bench studios, computer-aided design suites and design studios at the BAJ’s Birmingham campus, located within the New Birmingham Assay Office in the city’s historic jewellery quarter.
Visit – www.baj.ac.uk – courses – Birmingham for full lists of all courses offered
Contact: Naomi Wilson on 0121 655 0105 or for further details or to book.
List of courses:
(NB subject to re-scheduling due to Coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic.)
- Introduction to jewellery: Silver ring workshop 26th March & 22nd July
- Introduction to jewellery: Forged silver earrings 29th April & 29th July
- Introduction to jewellery: Enamelled earrings or pendant 14th May
- Jewellery Manufacturing Skills: Twisted curb bracelet/ chain making 8th – 10th June
- Introduction to Wax Carving and Casting: Part 1 – 18th June
- Introduction to Wax Carving and Casting: Part 1 – 2nd July
- Beginner Enamelling Techniques – 14th -15th July
- Beginner Adobe Illustrator for Jewellery Design 27th – 30th July
- Beginner Setting Techniques 12th – 14th August
- Beginner Jewellery Manufacturing Techniques – 19th – 21st August
- Beginner Wax Carving Techniques – 24th – 28th August
- Jewellery Manufacturing Skills: Catches and clasps -9th – 11th September