A new exhibition running from 26th October to 10th November, exploring the past and present experiences of those who spend their lives working in this important and historic area of Birmingham.
Bringing together photographic portraits and oral histories from the heart of the Jewellery Quarter, the exhibition provides a unique insight into Birmingham’s cultural and industrial heritage. The exhibition takes inspiration from the people who have spent their lives working in an area which covers just six streets – Frederick Street, Warstone Lane, Legge Lane, Albion Street, Vittoria Street and Regent Place.
The exhibition brings together work from documentary photographers Janine Wiedel, Andy Pilsbury and Inès Elsa Dalal as well as recordings of oral history interviews carried out over the last year by the JQ Townscape Heritage project.
Focusing on an area which is experiencing intense change, the exhibition provides the opportunity to consider and reflect on the lives and memories of some of those who have helped give the iconic Jewellery Quarter its unique character.
The exhibition is being held at Iron House Gallery from 26th October – 10th November 2019 and is open Mondays to Saturdays from 10am to 5pm. Free to attend.
Join us for a series of engaging events to explore the exhibition in more detail and learn new skills
- 26 Oct: Make and Take for Families. Inspired by jewellery that has been made in the Jewellery Quarter, create your own animal themed badge!
- 30 Oct: Through the Lens Panel Discussion. Meet the people involved in the exhibition including photographers and makers with the opportunity to ask questions.
- 02 Nov: ‘Exploring the Craft’ Workshop. Join jeweller Naomi Clarke for an introduction to the traditional trades of the Jewellery Quarter and create a piece of jewellery to take home. Free, book in advance.
- 08 Nov: An Industrial Hive with Carl Chinn. Join Carl Chinn for a talk which explores the development of the Jewellery Quarter; hear about the workers who shaped it and the lives and times of local residents. Free, book in advance.
- 09 Nov: Exhibition Walking Tour Starting at the gallery and walking around the industrial heart of the Jewellery Quarter, explore the streets and buildings which feature in the exhibition. Free, book in advance.