On 1st and 2nd November, London’s Goldsmiths’ Hall will host the UK’s biggest careers event for apprentices and students of jewellery and allied trades. Following the huge success of the events in 2014 and 2015 the event will now be extended over two days and will deliver even more inspiration, advice and networking opportunities.
Make Your Mark is a completely free tutor–student event open to apprentices, and anyone studying on a UK-based precious-metal-related course (full- or part-time) whether at degree level or on a short adult education or private tutored course.
Led by the Goldsmiths’ Company Assay Office, and supported by the Goldsmiths’ Company and the Goldsmiths’ Centre, the event will provide a packed programme of inspiring talks from leading figures in the trade, live demos, an exhibition of entries into the new Make You Mark Award, careers advice and much more besides.
Organisers are delighted to announce that Theo Fennell, one of Britain’s leading jewellery designers, and Michael Wainwright, Managing Director of Boodles and Prime Warden of the Goldsmiths’ Company, will be giving the keynote speeches, underlining their commitment to nurturing talent and the future of a great British trade.
Other key elements of the event will include:
- A wide range of exhibitors offering advice and guidance
- Live demonstrations including diamond cutting, hand engraving and stone setting
- Stalls selling books, stones, bullion, tools and much more
- A tour of the Goldsmiths’ Company’s renowned library
- Make Your Mark Q&A Panel – your chance to ask our panel of experts any trade related questions
- Make Your Mark Awards – an exciting new design competition that aims to challenge today’s students working in precious metal. Prizes will be awarded to the most artistically convincing design, model or finished piece in which precious metal is used with prominence, and where a London hallmark is part of the design.
As part of the event, the Goldsmiths’ Company Assay Office is offering all students attending an exclusive Laser Hallmarking Package for free. This unrivalled package comprises of a ten-year registration and laser software set-up in preparation for laser hallmarking.
Experts from the Goldsmiths’ Company, Assay Office and Goldsmiths’ Centre will also be on hand to offer friendly advice on hallmarking, internships, grants, and training opportunities.
The event has already attracted huge interest. Register to attend via Eventbrite http://makeyourmark2016.eventbrite.co.uk
Dr Robert Organ, Deputy Warden of the Goldsmiths’ Company Assay Office, commented: “The success of Make Your Mark in 2014 and 2015 proved that there is huge demand for advice and inspiration among students wanting to set out on careers in precious metals.
This year we hope to give students and their tutors an even more rewarding experience. We have brought together an extraordinary group of partners who want to share their expertise and passionately support the UK’s jewellery making, silverware and precious metal trades.”